• Phone: (868) 235-5329 ext. 3

The History of the Catholic newspaper in the Archdiocese of Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, goes back to 1862 when Archbishop Ferdinand English founded STAR OF THE WEST (1862-1878)

Regretfully the Archbishop died a few months after its first publication. In 1877, his successor, Archbishop Louis Joachim Gonin O.P. founded a Catholic newspaper for the Archdiocese, the TRINIDAD PALLADIUM (1877-1883). Gonin died on March 13, 1889. In 1892, a third newspaper was launched by another Dominican, Archbishop Vincent Flood. The CATHOLIC NEWS has never stopped publication.” (Sr Marie Thérèse Rétout O.P.)

The Catholic News (est. 1892) is Trinidad and Tobago’s oldest newspaper in circulation and the second oldest in the Anglophone Caribbean. The motto given for this paper was taken from the writing of St Augustine: In essentials, Unity; in non-essentials, Tolerance; in all things, Charity, and has always been retained on the masthead of this 125-year unbroken publication. In 1892 the office and printery were located at Holy Name Convent #33 St Ann’s Road, Port of Spain (Queen’s Park East). In 1910 the Catholic News office moved to No. 34 Belmont Circular Road (At the foot of the St Dominic’s orphanage Hill). In 1975 the office and its staff of six moved to No. 31 Independence Square Port of Spain. SUBSCRIBE NOW TO READ the papers from 1892 – present